Mass Media II | Video: Present & Future

Post Page Advertisement [Top]

Programming Trends: Popular Streaming Sites


I think it is safe to say, everyone is familiar with television programs and TV shows. Growing up, I remember me and my sister arguing over which show we were going to watch after school. She always wanted to watch Spongebob Squarepants, and I typically wanted to watch Hannah Montana. Those were the shows all our friends were talking about at the time. Today, whenever we are in the same room we do the same thing. The only difference between now and then is now we don’t watch TV shows on cable, but instead streaming platforms such as Netflix and Hulu. 

2021 was a big year for streaming platforms and it seems like each year they continue to grow in popularity. Netflix in particular had a few TV shows that went viral. On Netflix, the most-streamed TV show of the year was Squid Game. Just recently, Netflix confirmed that there would be a second season of the show. Squid Game was streamed for 1.6 billion hours just in the first 28 days it was released. 
How to Play Every Game From Squid Game (and Not Die) | WIRED
The second most-watched show on Netflix was Bridgerton. It was streamed for a total of 625.4 million hours in the first 28 days of its release. I’ll stop at the third most-streamed Netflix show before I move on. It was The Witcher season 2 with 405 million hours streamed. If you haven’t noticed, the third most-streamed is barely a third of Squid Game. I think that is because the latter is an internationally developed show and provides more inclusion for viewers, thanks to the various languages the show is dubbed in. 




Hulu also had a really good year for TV shows. To no one’s surprise, The Handmaid’s Tale was Hulu’s most streamed TV show in 2021. As for the most-streamed “unscripted” show on Hulu, The D’Amelio Show was the most-watched. The show revolves around the family of the two famous TikTok sisters, Charli and Dixie. Also, noteworthy Nine Perfect Strangers set a record as Hulu’s most-watched series ever this year.



As much as I forget it, Hulu and Netflix aren’t the only streaming platforms available. One of my favorite streaming platforms that I regularly forget about is Amazon Prime. I have found some hidden gems on Amazon Prime. Their most-streamed show of 2021 was The Wheel of TimeThis would make it the second year it makes Amazon Prime’s most streamed TV show. I have never seen The Wheel of Time, so I can’t attest to its quality, but one would have to assume it's a good show if it is being streamed so much.



Apple TV is another newer streaming service. They have a very limited selection of movies and shows, but I’ve found that their shows are of extreme value. Their most-streamed show of 2021 was Ted Lassowhich after one episode instantly became one of my favorite TV shows. Apple TV is free to students who have an Apple Music student account. 


The most streamed TV show across all streaming platforms of 2021 is Criminal Minds. 12 of the 15 seasons are on Netflix, seasons 13-15 are on Hulu, but Paramount Plus provides viewers with all 15 seasons.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Bottom Ad [Post Page]